Previous Issues of Waves Gone By Available
13 Young Alumni Reunion
14 Alumni Reunion
Walla Walla University, WA
14 Alumni Reunion
20 Young Alumni Reunion
La Sierra University
Loma Linda University
22 Alumni Reunion
Loma Linda/Riverside, CA
More chapter reunions…
Who's Considered an Alum?
If you've attended, worked, or taught at MBA we consider you alumni.
April 23-26, 2009
Thurs – Scholarship Reception
Fri – 10th Annual Golf Classic
Sat – Heritage Singers Concert
Sun – 49er's Brunch
Sandscripts Spring 2010
Not receiving SS? Sign up here!
From the Editor
Happy New Year! Welcome to the second edition of Waves Gone By. Thanks for the feedback many of you gave following our December debut.
I want to encourage you to visit our website often. The alumni section is currently being overhauled. We’ll let you know when it is up and running. We’re also giving you a shortcut to the site: alumni.montereybayacademy.org
It was great to see the competition as many of you submitted your answers to the MBA Trivia Contest. And—we have a WINNER! Look for that announcement below.
As we begin our MBA 60th Anniversary celebration, I would like to have a Top 10 list—or more appropriately—a Top 60 list that reflects your selections as your favorite thing at/about MBA. You’ll see that listed below as well.
Stay warm in January! Frosty is out there!
Until next month—
Where Land and Sea Unite to Inspire (Quote of the Month)
“You watch your child try new things every day, and they don’t care if they make mistakes. Why should you have that fear?” — Nelly Furtado, singer and songwriter, and mother to five-year-old daughter, Nevis
MBA Trivia Contest
Question for January 2009
How many principals has MBA had in its 60-year history and what are their names?
Answer to December Trivia Question
Q: When did it start, and how did Oceanaires get their name?
A: According to The Helm, the choir was called the Oceanaires in 1955-56. The following year, the choir was so large it was split up and the small select choir was then called Oceanaires. That took place in the beginning of the 1956-57 school year. Oceanaires has remained the small select choir. Click the graphic on the right for a larger view.
Winner: Irving Curtis, Class of 1957. He and his wife, Pat Grady Curtis, both sang in Oceanaires in 1956-57. Irving’s name will be placed in the annual grand prize drawing next December 2009.
In honor of this months inauguration of our 44th President of the United States
William McKinley, the 25th U.S. President, once had to choose between two equally qualified men for a key job. He puzzled over the choice until he remembered a long-ago incident.
On a rainy night, McKinley had boarded a crowded streetcar. One of the men he was now considering had also been aboard, though he didn’t see McKinley. Then an old woman carrying a basket of laundry struggled into the car, looking in vain for a seat. The job candidate pretended not to see her and kept his seat. McKinley gave up his seat to help her.
Remembering the episode, which he called “this little omission of kindness,” McKinley decided against the man on the streetcar. Our decisions—even the small, fleeting ones—tell a lot about us.
Adapted from Presidential Anecdotes Paul F. Boller, Jr. (Penguin Books)
- Year-end Statements will be mailed to all our donors before January 30. If you have misplaced any of your receipts, you may use this document in its place.
- MBA Photos We are looking for yours! Email or mail to the Alumni Office. Be sure and list the names of those in the photo. Perhaps it was your favorite banquet picture or a band tour photo. Just be sure and tell us the event or situation. Watch for it in upcoming Waves Gone By or Sandscripts publications. Please be sure the photos are a minimum of 800x600 pixels in size, 150 dpi resolution, and saved in JPEG format.
- Alumnus of the Year We are currently accepting nominations for alums or former faculty who: served well either their church, community, or MBA; or have been involved in mission service. Submit your nominations to: Charlotte Henderson or to Alumni President Wayne Enos.
- Sandscripts If you have any news/photos for the upcoming Spring issue of Sandscripts, please submit to email@example.com. Promotions, weddings, births, new move? Keep us all up-to-date.
- Academy Days is March 15-16. Sign up today if you wish to bring a teenager you are acquainted with. Contact Nathan Henderson for more information.
MBA’s Top 60 List
In celebration of our 60th Anniversary, we would like to compile our own Top 60 List that may even beat out Letterman’s Top 10. When you think of all you did at MBA, all the people you encountered, all the events you attended, all the roommates and dorm mates you had, tours and trips you went on—what is your very most favorite memory? Submit your memory to firstname.lastname@example.org and watch for this list to appear as part of our 60th Anniversary celebration. Now this is going to be interesting…